簡介
Principle of conversation 會話原則
American philosopher Paul Grice concluded that natural language had its own logic. His idea is that in making conversation, the participants must first of all be willing to cooperate. This general principle is called the Cooperative Principle (CP).
To be more specific, there are four maxims under this general principle:
四個準則
在最高原則,即合作原則下,人們在交際中要遵守如下四個準則:
a) The maxim of quantity 數量準則
Make your contribution as informative as required (for the current purpose of the exchange).
使自己所說的話達到當前交談目的所要求的詳盡程度。
Do not make your contribution more informative than is required.
不能使自己所說的話比所要求的更詳盡。
b) The maxim of quality 質量準則
Do not say what you believe to be false. 不要說自己認為不真實的話。
Do not say that for which you lack adequate evidence. 不要說自己缺乏足夠證據的話。
c) The maxim of relation 關聯準則
Be relevant. 說話要貼切,有關聯。
d) The maxim of manner 方式準則
Avoid obscurity of expression. 避免晦澀的詞語。
Avoid ambiguity. 避免歧義。
Be brief (avoid unnecessary prolixity). 說話要簡要(避免累贅)。
Be orderly. 說話要有條理。
It is interesting and important to note that while conversation participants nearly always observe the CP, they do not always observe these maxims strictly. For various reasons these maxims are often violated, or “flouted”. Most of these violations give rise to what Grice calls “conversational implicature”. In other word, when we violate any of these maxims, our language becomes indirect.
雖然會話參與者幾乎總是遵守合作原則的,但並非嚴格遵守。由於種種原因,這些原則經常被違反,爾對合作原則的違反則導致產生格賴斯所說的“會話含意”。也就是說,對任何一種合作原則的違反,都會使語言變得間接。
示例1:
Do you know where Mr. X lives?
Somewhere in the southern suburbs of the city.
違反數量準則
示例2:
Would you like to come to our party tonight?
I’m afraid I’m not feeling so well today.
違反質量準則
示例3:
The hostess is an awful bore. Don’t you think?
The roses in the garden are beautiful, aren’t they?
違反關聯準則
示例4:
Shall we get something for the kids?
Yes. But I veto I-C-E-C-R-E-A-M.
違反方式準則